Wednesday, February 28, 2007
In other related news, former Audioslave front man Chris Cornell has confirmed a summer tour in support of his sophomore solo disc entitled Carry On. For his solo trek, Cornell will be playing career spanning tracks from his days in Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Audioslave. His goal is to play every song he has ever written at least once, much like what Springsteen had done on the "Devils and Dust Tour" in 2005. Carry On hits stores in early May.
Monday, February 26, 2007
The Main Course, five basic films to get into his style's and motifs:
1) Raging Bull (1980), the first film Scorsese was nominated for best director. This is a true master piece and the best film he has ever done. In fact, Scorsese didn't even want to do this, Robert DeNiro pushed to get this film made. Its the first film that features the trio of Scorsese, DeNiro and Joe Pesci.
2)Goodfellas (1991) Talk to anyone in the film industry and they will tell you films like this are rare, because this is a truly flawless movie.
3)Mean Streets (1973) One of Scorsese's first films, the semi-autobiographical crime drama stars a very young Harvey Kietel and Robert DeNiro in his breakout role.
4)Taxi Driver (1976) The film that made DeNiro and Scorsese a household name. DeNiro stars as a Holden Caulfield-esque cab driver who tries to save the life of a young prostitute played by Jodie Foster.
5) Gangs of New York (2002) A film of epic proportions. The first time Marty and Leonardo DiCaprio team up in what will become one of the best film making teams in the business. Daniel Day-Lewis gives hands down one of the best performances of film history.
Once you master those, here are deeper cuts:
1) The Aviator (2004) The second pairing of DiCaprio and Scorsese, in a back to old time Hollywood basics film of grand proportions.
2) The Last Tempation of Christ (1988) Fans of Donnie Darko will know this film, due to its parallels to Jake Gyllehals famous character. However, before The Da Vinci Code, Scorsese scored up controversy in the Catholic Church with his look at Christ's final hours before being Crucified.
3) The Age of Innocence (1993) One of his first period pieces about love and lust in 19th century New York.
4) My Voyage to Italy (1999) If there is one thing you should know before watching a Martin Scorsese documentary, they all clock in over three hours. However, the time is well spent, it is the cheapest film school you will ever go to. With this, Scorsese takes us through, one of my favorite genres, Italian Neo-Realism. Neo-Realism, evolved after World War II in Rome and Southern Italy, and they were mostly unscripted films about life and struggle in a worn torn, post fascist society. These films paved the way for what we now know as the documentary.
5) The King of Comedy (1983) DeNiro plays a stand up comic who feels that the only way to gain attention and popularity is to be billed with his favorite comedian. Therefore he goes on a never ending hunt into stalking the popular comic to try and gain notoriety.
These are Martin Scorsese at his finest. I hope you enjoy these films as much as I have.
Thursday, February 22, 2007
My picks for the 10 best films of 2006:
1. The Departed
2. The Queen
3. Casino Royale
5. Half Nelson
6. Children of Men
7. The Illusionist
8. Once in a Lifetime
9. Little Miss Sunshine
10. Blood Diamond
My picks for the "Big 8" at this years Oscars:
Best Supporting Actor:
Alan Arkin, however, it looks like its all leading to Eddie Murphy
Best Supporting Actress:
Rinko Kikuchi, however, it looks like its all leading to Jennifer Hudson
Best Original Screenplay:
Little Miss Sunshine, as great as this script was, I believe Half Nelson was totally overlooked in this catagory.
Best Adapted Screenplay:
As far as Cinematography goes, my pick goes to Emmanuel Lubezki for Children of Men.
We shall see what happens this Sunday, and hopefully Scorsese finally gets what he deserves.
Tuesday, February 20, 2007
This, the second attack on a UK singer, when just weeks ago Gallagher took a stab at Bono and his charity work . Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Oasis open for U2 on the Popmart tour? Yeah they did. Didn't Bono and Liam tongue kiss back stage once after a gig? Yeah they did. Also, didn't Noel and Bono share the January cover of England's Q magazine? Yeah they did. So why all the hostility Noel? Noel himself doesn't even have an answer for that. In the past it has always been younger brother Liam cracking at other bands and the recent out of character outbursts by Noel are catching many, including Oasis fans like myself, by surprise.
For more updates on the Gallagher vs. the world fight I will keep you updated.
Monday, February 19, 2007
For more on the RATM reunion...check out my Jan 2007 post "Rage to Reunite."
02 the beginning of the end
04 the good soldier
06 me, i'm not
07 capital g
08 my violent heart
09 the warning
10 god given
11 meet your master
12 the greater good
13 the great destroyer
14 another version of the truth
15 in this twilight
To hear the latest single "Survivalism" click hear http://www.myspace.com/nin
For more on the Band and the new album check out www.nin.com
Saturday, February 17, 2007
-Patent Pending - The fun punk band from Long Island has damn near perfected how today's outlets can get you recognized. With riling majorly on sites like Myspace and youtube and of course the bands actual website www.patentpendingsmells.com the Long Island quartet are proving with enough heart and soul and of course an abundance of creativity you can live your dream.
-The Fire Flies - The Best Band You Never Herd (period!). Fronted by the musical genius of Dan Romer, a trained Gospel singer, this David Bowie/Flaming Lips inspired band will move you in ways you never thought possible. Check them out at www.myspace.com/firefliesmusic
-Paper and Sand - The Sister band to The Fire Flies, and equally as brilliant . www.myspace.com/paperandsand
- The Spies - Take a look to what the band has got to offer at www.myspace.com/thespies . I guarantee you will be dancing in your seat.
- Ra Ra Riot - A band from Syracuse University now making a name for themselves in NYC. A rock band with a cello is the best way to put it. www.myspace.com/rarariot
For More info on these bands, obviously click on the link above but go to shows and see them live. Sometimes the recordings dont do them justice, its all about the live set.
A live review from Good Times Magazine by Bill Reese will be up soon about the UTIOG show.
Also, for more on the history of DIY check out the book Our Band Could Be Your Life by Michael Azarrad.
Thursday, February 15, 2007
In the past QAQ has had an amazing platform of artists come play for them, last years concert featured buzz bands Say Anything, A Wilhelm Scream and Patent Pending and was the first show QAQ had sell out since 1985 and the band to do it out then was The Ramones. As I said, amazing platform of artists. In 2005 I was in charge of booking the prestigious concert, I got what seemed to be Jerseys punk finest; The Bouncing Souls with special guests The Explosion, The Loved Ones and Let it Burn. This year I promise will not disappoint, spread the word around and go to the show!
Other spring concert acts have been:
-Murder By Death
-Bear Vs. Shark
Tuesday, February 13, 2007
Check it all out at :
Monday, February 12, 2007
-Bloc Party- A Weekend in the City
-The Shins- Wincing the Night Away
-The Good, The Bad, and The Queen
-Thom Yorke- The Eraser
-William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet - The Soundtrack
-Sigor Ros - ( )
- Depeche Mode - Ultra
Tuesday, February 6, 2007
Above: U2 entering Johanesburg Stadium in South Africa opening with "Discotheque" for the last POPMart concert. Circa 1998.
Below: U2 performing "Last Night On Earth," from Johanessburg stadium. Take a look at the massive stage and the worlds largest TV.
Thursday, February 1, 2007
Here is Incubus full set list (thanks to http://www.incubusonline.com/)
1/31/2007 - New York City, NY - Hammerstein Ballroom
Setlist:Quicksand- A Kiss To Send Us Off -Wish You Were Here- Have You Ever -Anna Molly Paper Shoes -When it Comes- Redefine (Remix) -Pardon Me (Acoustic) -Drive (Acoustic) -Earth To Bella 1 -Under My Umbrella- Light Grenades- Diamonds and Coal -Sick Sad Little World Dig Encore: Pistola -Megalomaniac